Saturday 13 October 2012

Gloom and Doom

I am tired and weary, drunk and dusty, my god, I am travelling in a second class seater coach with open windows, actually there was no choice, the window just wasn't there .. lol .. but hey, just the right kind of weather to expose the skin to nature, its cool and the breeze has just the right kind of chill in the air to make a full sleeve shirt comfortable.  Not that the train moved any fast, I am told when I researched it on the net, that its average speed is some 57.8 kmph.  Been a long time since I tried my luck in a coach similar to this, and it is quiet in here, I missed the songs and camaraderie, the feel of blue jeans and a T-shirt and a guitar in my hand.  I was of course in formals with a tie knotted closely at my throat.  And there were all kinds of dresses here from Kurta Pajamas to Pathani Suits, to plain Safari Suited gentlemen, the ladies were all in shalwar kameez, and amongst all of them the ticket checker was the gentleman who gave me a semblance of competition with his brand of formals.  Came in with dark trousers and a dark coat with a white shirt and wads of loose paper printouts in his hand.

I, of course, was carrying, my usual repertoire for a journey, a bottle of coke and my books.  Today I was reading one by Madhuri Banerjee and it had me riveted. My Guess shirt was screaming at me, move away from this window, even a speck of dirt in it resembled a glooming stain.  Funny how we all actually take care of our expensive clothing, even at the cost of going out of our way.  I mean that detergent that cleans up my shirt costs a fortune and then some. It has to chlorine free and other chemicals free.  Probably if I had my way I would have gone ahead and used Bisleri for cleansing.  I mean whats Rs 20 when it comes to a Guess Shirt, and that to bought from an original showroom, no less, not a franchisee.  These people and I mean the dhobi is also aware now a days and will charge according to the brand.

Speaking of dhobis, the one in my location is a class act.  Pretty snobby wife and vagabond kids. He comes in a Maruti 800 and parks in the allocated parking for the residents.  Do you think it pays well to wash and iron clothes nowadays ?  He wants his daughter to study for software, and that's really something.  I like software, especially the authorised and legal software, the deal is I would prefer it if you gave me software that would run at least a 90 day trial with all features enabled.  The reason Microsoft ran into trouble, of course the big man made his money and moved out, is that they tried to copyright and patent protect everything.  Patents are great but how about when you are using sub-contracted labour to get it developed.  Sub-contracted labour comes from everywhere and the ideas, don't know much about it, but the loops, structures and codes are borrowed and re-used.  So what might have been Novell is used by Microsoft and patented.  All will be well, just give it thought, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
These are the days of miracle, these might be my redemption days


0 comments:

Post a Comment