Tuesday 30 October 2012

The Makings of a Modern Man

Haven't been as crazy as I was since I was growing up, and thinking about it, as friends of mine would testify there was nothing I didn't attempt.  I was stark raving mad!!!   I often wonder what made my mind tick, and as anyone would admit, it was a scary proposition to be the apprentice to people from different backgrounds, as scary as the confusion epitomised by "too many cooks spoil the bath".  So if S S Sharma ji would ask me to write novels and short stories, this other older friend of mine Juhi, a neighbour, would probably push me into maths, and my hockey coach Pargat Singh, wanted me to be a forward despite the fact that I told him I didn't run that much.  So caught between the trichotomy or maybe even a sought of a slumgullion of things, I chose a few things I was proud of doing.  So I chose physics over everything else and of course played cricket since I was told that I would be good at hockey.

Going back to hockey, it is a fine game, with twenty two men running and when I say running I really mean literally running against each other.  It is by far the hardest game I have played, has the roughness and toughness, and slick and sophisticated as well.  Having received some stick wounds on my knees and chin I know how rough it can get, even with a referee around, and I used to get thirsty as hell, running for 70 minutes non stop is fairly easy for somebody like me, but I believe playing hockey in those days may have turned me into a lazy bum.  Play at school and then just sit at home. Something I still follow today, work hard at work and come home and play the dead man.  I am emotionally too tired once I get back from work and no amounting of cajoling and coaxing makes me make a move.  I realise this may be only my mental block but it is something I enjoy.

An apprentice typically goes through a crisis often because of a direct confrontation with the master, is it true would you admit that if the apprentice is a good learner, may out pass the teacher in his / her chosen field.  Speaking of choices I would chose love over everything else.  Where and what has this love given me, probably nothing if you think about it, a poor lonely man trying to make it sound glamorous or chivalrous, or maybe if you think about it, gave me my world and continuous to gives me every time I fall in and out of love.  Women, they are just fantastic in their in the make up, is it the glasses of water that they drink that makes them cry so much or do they cry to get an emotional advantage over men, whatever it might be, I just love it today .... mmmmmmmmm
Sleep brother, because I got it all covered today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment